What is ciprofloxacin used for, an FDA-approved antibiotic that is used to treat many types of bacteria that infect the body, such as urinary tract infections and bone infections? Cipro 500 has many indications for its use, which will be reviewed here in addition to some medical information on Cipro 500.
What is ciprofloxacin used for
Gastrointestinal infection such as:
- Diarrhea that occurs as a result of a bacterial infection.
- Bacterial infection in the gallbladder.
- Diverticulitis, which is an appendix of the colon mucosa.
- Food poisoning.
Urinary tract infection
- It is caused by some types of bacteria, such as Escherichia coli, and prostatitis in males.
- Some skin infections caused by a bacterial infection.
Respiratory infection, such as:
- Dietary tuberculosis (TB).
- Plague disease, especially the type that affects the respiratory system.
A bacterial infection that affects the bones and joints.
Some sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea.
Other uses of Cipro 500
There are some other indications for Cipro 500 that confirm the effectiveness of the drug, such as:
- Tularemia, also known as rabbit fever, and it mainly affects animals, but it may be transmitted to humans by direct contact with them.
- Infection in the outer ear.
- Legionnaires 'disease, which is a respiratory infection caused by Legionnaires' bacteria.
Use of the medicine Cipro 500 during pregnancy and lactation
A number of studies have been conducted to explain the result of Cipro 500 on the fetus during pregnancy and the child during lactation in animals, as these studies showed the effect of ciprofloxacin on the formation of fetal bones and its affliction with some joint diseases.
Using the medicine Cipro 500 for children
As for the use of Ciprofloxacin for children, it is not preferred to use it before the age of 18 years, especially in children with diseases of the bones and joints, as Cipro 500 increases the incidence of these diseases.
It is worth noting that Cipro 500 may be used in children when there is no effect of other antibiotics, or if they have plague, anthrax, or severe infection of the urinary system.
How does Cipro 500 work?
Ciprofloxacin, which is included in the drug Cipro 500, stops the growth of bacteria in the body by inhibiting the enzyme that promotes bacterial growth, known as grease.
Side effects of using Cipro 500
The indications for it are multiple, however, there are some side effects that may accompany taking this drug, such as:
- Feeling of frequent nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea, because Cipro 500 may affect the beneficial bacteria in the digestive system that prevent diarrhea.
- Feeling lightheaded and dizzy.
- The occurrence of some digestive disorders that quickly go away after stopping the medication by about two weeks.
- Infection with a rash.
- Decreased urination.
- Elevated liver enzymes.