Treat poultry lice, however, the main danger lies in the fact that periods in chickens are a carrier of a serious infection, often parasitic worms. Infected chickens can carry pathogens. Eating its meat is dangerous to humans.
Even if the room where the bird is located is clean - this is not an absolute guarantee of an obstacle to the spread of swallowing. Wild birds (sparrows, crows, pigeons) are the main source of disease.
What is poultry lice
A small insect (from 1 to 5 mm) for some time remains invisible to humans, at the same time, it reproduces, infects healthy birds. The parasite spends an entire life cycle on the bird. The eggs that the insects lay on feathers develop over a period of 4 to 7 days.
Generally, an insect develops from an egg to an adult individual for about three to four weeks. Veterinarians confirm the diagnosis of swallowing, in the presence of adult lice on the bird's body. Photos of chicken lice will help determine their presence.
- An injured hen becomes restless, often trying to comb its feathers with its beak.
- With long-term parasitism from lice in chickens, some feathers are lost, skin areas are exposed.
- Sick individuals lose weight and also reduce egg production (an average of 11 percent).
- Young birds infected with chicken parasites gain poor weight.
- In the absence of adequate treatment, the presence of poultry in chickens causes death.
- Many of them have a question of how to get rid of lice (down and poultry) in chickens. On average, the louse lives 3-4 weeks.
But the ability to lay a large number of larvae and a short incubation period, allow a few months to have 120,000 offspring.
Therefore, you should start fighting lice as soon as the disease appears in poultry. It is easiest to deal with this problem when starting treatment in time. There are several methods: chemical and folk remedies, study them below.
How to treat poultry lice
Supporters of folk methods know how to get lice from chickens. The effect of kerosene is effective. Not only does the adult die from it, but the chitinous shell partially dissolves. The effects of vinegar are similar to the effects of kerosene. It can be used diluted in a ratio of one part vinegar 9% to two parts water.
A mixture of kerosene, gasoline, and ammonia is also used to treat room and chicken. An insect that scares its scent. Promote their removal of essential oils of rosemary and eucalyptus. It has long been a tick-borne lice medium that are branches of wild rosemary and flower beds. The smell of these plants is able to scare away insect parasites from the building.
How to prevent poultry lice
To prevent lice in chickens, how to deal with the occurrence of this problem?
- Treat boiling water.
- In a timely manner remove food and garbage residues.
- Regular bedding change.
- Eliminate contact with wild poultry.
- It is recommended to install sand baths with additional ash. Be sure to periodically check the feathers and skin of the chicken, so as not to miss the appearance of the disease.
What causes poultry lice
Poultry, like all animals, is attacked by insect parasites. They are parasitized by some species that only feed on birds, but some can attack humans, for example, fleas. Cases of infection in chickens with insects that parasite the skin are not uncommon.
What kills poultry lice
Chicken lice spread diseases such as spirochetes, Newcastle disease, influenza, adenovirus infection, and retrovirus infection.