Colitis in dogs, or in other words, the inflammatory process in the walls of the colon or rectum, proceeds the same way as in humans, causing a host of unpleasant symptoms. There are many causes that can cause this disease, and cause it to spread. The medicine provides an effective way to treat it. The owner is requested to take care of the health of the pet and visit the veterinary clinic in time.
Causes of inflammation
Experts distinguish between different types of diseases. One of the classifications depends on the cause of the inflammatory process:
The lymphatic - plasmablastic form is a common type of colitis in dogs, with the etiology not completely understood. With its development in the mucosa, the level of plasma cells and lymphocytes increases. Doctors attribute their development to the pathological reaction of the immune system.
The histiocyte morphology is the pathology of young boxers, experts suggest that this form has an autoimmune origin.
The granulomatous form is an acute disease condition that has similarities with Crohn's syndrome in humans. With this disease, certain cells appear in the colon, causing inflammation.
Eosinophilic form - in the focus of the inflammatory process eosinophils appear, which occur against the background of infection with parasites or allergic manifestations.
Often times, colitis in dogs is as contagious as colibacillosis in pigs, and in most cases, the pathogens are the following pathogens:
- Bacteria - Clostridium, Salmonella, E. coli, Campylobacter.
- Viruses - coronaviruses, parvoviruses.
- Fungi that cause histoplasmosis.
- Parasites of the genus nematode.
- Protozoa - Trichomonas, amoeba, cichlids, giardia.
- Often, intestinal inflammation develops against the background of food intolerance or an allergic reaction. The animal body may react negatively to excess fats, nutritional supplements, specific proteins, or lactose.
Another common cause of colitis is malnutrition. A dog can become ill by eating too much food and eating poor-quality foods and sometimes inedible things. Also, the pathology provokes fatty, spicy, or smoked dishes. In this case, the disease progresses sharply and lasts for a short time.
If the four-clawed pet is regularly upset with an upset stomach, then the owner should be alarmed, perhaps his dog has colitis. In addition to diarrhea, the animal appears bloody and mucus mixture in the fecal masses, and this is an indication of an exacerbation of the disease.
In a dog with colitis, the act of defecation is associated with severe stress. In addition, there are pathological conditions:
- Frequent, intercourse galore.
- Loud in the stomach and intestines.
- Repeated gagging.
- The tongue is covered with gray bloom.
- The temperature of the sub-layer rises for a long time by no more than 2-3 ° C.
- Heart rate increases.
- The bad smell emanating from the mouth.
- The increased gas formation, bloating.
Treatment, first of all, depends on the form of the disease. During the diagnosis, the specialist must not only find out the presence of enteritis but also determine its type. If mucous or bloody mucous membranes are detected in the stool, this means that the pathological process is concentrated in the large intestine as colibacillosis in cattle.
- The presence of foreign objects in the lumen of the colon.
- Stool pressure.
- Thickening and compression of the intestinal wall.
- Intestinal inversion.
- An increase in lymph nodes.
It should be noted that an ultrasound examination does not always allow to assess the complete clinical picture, an increase in gas formation in the intestine can prevent the study.